Sunday, January 29, 2012

Ikea Ektorp Sofa Review Part 2 {follow-up}

This is part 2 of my personal review of the Ikea Ektorp Sofa. To start with part 1, go here. I was recently asked by a reader to share a follow up from my initial review of the Ikea Ektorp sofa. Like I mentioned before, I love the look of the Pottery Barn Basic but I definitely don't love the price! The Ikea Ektorp sofa is a fraction of the price and after having sat on both, I really think the Ektorp is even more comfortable. We ended up purchasing the corner sofa 2+ 2 and it is very spacious for our family. The cushions continue to be cushiony but still supportive.






Now to a few of the cons. Assuming you are also interested in the Blekinge White slipcover and you find yourself {slightly} OCD about things as I do, you may struggle with the slipcover not looking perfect. It is bright white which means it shows everything - lint, hair, dirt, you name it! We have a no shoes policy on the couch but my three year old doesn't always remember that rule ;) I've learned to just spot clean with a damp cloth. For more stubborn spots, I've used a cloth dampened with my baby wipe spray. Thick baby wipes have worked in a pinch too! There have been times I thought the slipcovers needed washed but really they just needed rolled with one of those sticky lint removers (you'll need several of the sticky sheets for a couch this size).

Honestly, removing the slipcover is kind of a pain. It isn't difficult necessarily but it is kinda tedious to take off and put back on. Funny thing is one of my least favorite chores is putting pillows in pillowcases. The hubby normally does that for me because I seriously can't hardly stand it. Now I have the equivalent of fourteen "pillows." Not so funny, huh? After washing the slipcovers, I still struggle with finding a good way to dry all the various slipcovers quickly. I originally thought I would be able to dry them overnight but the thick material isn't usually dry by morning. Maybe that would work in a drier climate? Anyway, I really dislike that whole process. Plus, the slipcovers get very wrinkled after being washed. I know they don't have to look perfect, but I would be embarrassed to have them on my couches without ironing them a little. The main base piece is what needs ironed the most and, of course, is the most difficult to iron because of its size. To solve this dilemma, I bought a $25 steamer from Walmart. It doesn't get all the wrinkles out but it helped relax them a lot. I can handle these wrinkles...I think :)




As a side note, I haven't had the need to bleach it but I wouldn't be opposed to spot treating with bleach. I have used stain remover. If you remember from part 1, my three year old spilled orange juice all over the Ektorp Bromma footstool. I washed it right away with stain remover and it was fine.

I know that sounds like a whole lot of negative but I just want you to see the reality of a white, slipcovered sofa. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the look and the way it just brightens my entire room. If I had it to do all over again, I would buy the same thing in. a. heartbeat. I just wish I had read more reviews that would have given me more realistic expectations going into it.

I sure hope this helps. Please, please, please email me or comment with any questions. I love all of your sweet comments and try to respond back to each and every one. If you sign in with your email, I'll try to respond to you privately via email.






Sharing this with...
A little inspiration * bear rabbit bear *Bubbly Nature Creations 
French Country Cottage *Home Stories A to Z * House of Hepworths 
I can teach my child *I {heart} naptime *It's Overflowing * Oopsey Daisy  
Positively Splendid *Ruby Jean  *Six Sisters StuffTatertots and Jello  
The Delectable Home * The Girl Creative *The Grant Life 
The Southern Institute * Whipperberry

1 comment:

  1. What's up, yes this article is actually nice and I have learned lot of things from it concerning blogging. thanks.

    My homepage Office furniture Cape Town

    ReplyDelete