Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A Very Hungry Caterpillar



Some of you faithful blog readers will remember me blogging about how I hate to throw stuff away (if not, you can read it here). I'm always wondering how I can upcycle my "junk" :-)  Last week I shared an idea for a parmesan cheese container turned frog. I found another use that I had to share! This comes from Making Learning Fun's blog and you can find a tutorial with printables here. I thought I'd share some tips and pictures from our creation:


I just used some leftover fabric, ribbon and felt. I would suggest sewing on the velcro, though. (I tried iron-on and just could not get it to adhere well.)

Here's our caterpillar :)

In his cocoon and then...

...turned into a butterfly! I liked being able to "pop" the eyes up to change it from a caterpillar to a butterfly
I did not have time or interest in going somewhere to have the food cards laminated. Instead, I backed them in cardstock and brushed them with some leftover Triple Thick I used for another craft. I think it is near the Mod Podge in Hobby Lobby.



I liked how shiny they turned out even though they weren't laminated. It keeps them more durable too. Which help since my toddler enjoys jamming them into the caterpillar's mouth ;-)


And the story begins...
Ellie insisted that we use both copies of our book. As a side note, the original is a special edition signed by Eric Carle. I remember when my brother got this book 17 years ago. Does that make me old?

Feeding the caterpillar

After our caterpillars ate too much, they had tummy aches.


No comments:

Post a Comment