Monday, May 30, 2011

Whatever...

When it comes to television and movies, does "whatever" go in your household - whatever show, whatever movie, whatever the language, whatever the subject matter? 

When we turn to God's scripture for guidance in our television and movie viewing, we can apply the concept of "whatever" but it is what comes after the word "whatever" that we need to remember:
"Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things" (Philippians 4:8). 
As mothers, we need to be sure that we are filtering all that is being watched in our household. I'd like to share two sources that may help you and your family enjoy more wholesome television and movies. In our home, we use TV Guardian which filters television shows and mutes out any sentences that include inappropriate language. For movies, I'd recommend ClearPlay. Chase and I haven't purchased one because we don't rent very many movies. (Since we use Pay-Per-View, our TV Guardian filters the language of the few movies we do watch.) The great thing about ClearPlay is that it not only filters language, but it also filters sexual content and violence.

Both of these resources are great but just because we remove the "bad" from a television show or movie, doesn't necessarily mean that it honorable or worthy of praise. We need to ensure that we are focusing on activities and entertainment at home that are in line with Philippians 4:8.

"...For the mouth speaks out of that which fills the heart." Matthew 12:34

"Let the words of my mouth and the mediation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic post Kristen! I have never heard of ClearPlay. That sounds neat. Also, I love Philippians 4:8. I try to remember this when it comes to watching TV, movies, listening to music, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katie! I think they are both great inventions and I wish there were more products like them on the market. You are so right about the application - it isn't just television but all of our entertainment choices!

    ReplyDelete