Friday, July 15, 2011

Raspberry Smoothie

Summer always seems to be the time that we focus on getting in shape so we can look our best. Sporting my summer with a new baby means that I definitely have some shaping up to do! Shortly after HR was born, I started working on a healthier diet for myself. My inspiration came from The Biggest Loser recipe book that I borrowed from our library. Not all the recipes are great but there are some good ones and just reading it was motivating. Since sweets are my weakness, I started making this raspberry smoothie to help curb my cravings. I'm not a huge smoothie fan but I've been drinking this just about everyday for the past month and I love it! It only has around 160 calories and everything in it is healthy! It is also great for making and taking on the go when I'm too busy too eat or when I don't feel hungry but I know I need  to get something in my system so that I have energy!

What you'll need:



1/2 cup *Vanilla Almond Milk
1/2 cup Fat Free Plain Yogurt (Greek yogurt is even better for you to use but I don't keep it on hand)
1 cup frozen raspberries (I throw in a couple frozen strawberries too as a natural sweetener)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa

*In a pinch I've used regular milk but it isn't nearly as good and you'll need to add sugar and extra vanilla.



Blend for about a minute until smooth. The cocoa in this makes it taste so rich. Yum!



 I put my smoothie in this clear glass so that you can see how pretty and yummy it looks but normally it goes in a lidded cup with a straw so I can take it on the go...and better guard hide it from Ellie :)

Oh and here is a random tip - You know how yogurt tends to separate in the refrigerator and look like this:



 The liquid contains the sugar so I just pour it out each time before using the yogurt (instead of stirring it back in). This allows you to get more protein from your smoothie and less carbohydrates. You could also strain your yogurt but I'm not that crazy ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment