Saturday, July 9, 2011

Home again, home again!

Hannah Rose is almost 9 weeks old already! We have spent most of that time either having company or being company so, needless to say, we are ready to get some structure back into our lives! Several weeks back I drove out to Tucson with the girls, my mom and her two dogs. Yes, you read that correctly. Twenty hours with a toddler, newborn and two stinky adorable dogs.

The drive wasn't nearly as stressful as I thought it would be. I planned and fretted and fretted some more about the road trip. Fortunately, my friend Lindsay was road tripping with her three boys the week before we left and I asked her for some tips. You see, Lindsay has three boys - did I mention that? Anyway, she is one of those moms that I envy because she is super crafty and always seems so together when I feel like a frazzled mess! She suggested taking lots of snacks and movies to watch. My mom also convinced me to buy some inexpensive toys to give Ellie along the way. Great idea! I know some of you super moms may be questioning my use of bribery with a toddler but let me tell you, it worked! When Ellie started getting restless in her car seat or didn't want to get back in the car after a rest stop, we just pulled out a present :)

To keep expenses down, we also packed sandwiches, drinks and snacks. This also stressed me out a little because I'm still uncomfortable with Ellie eating junk food (did I win back any mommy points?!). Instead of packing a lot of junk, I brought string cheese in the cooler and made our own trail mix of unsweetened cereal, dried bananas, raisins, crackers and then threw in a SMALL quantity of mini marshmallows and teddy grahams. I put it all in a large ziploc bag and just scooped out a small bowl as needed. It was a hit with Ellie (except for the dried bananas!).

I'm so thankful that God gave us a safe trip and I hope to get back to writing more posts soon. Here are some pictures from the drive:
Playing with one of her road trip presents

Riding in the car for 20 hours isn't that much fun - I asked her to smile for this one!


No comments:

Post a Comment