Monday, February 13, 2012

Baby food tips {part 2}

Earlier this week I shared some easy, homemade baby food tips. I also want to share an alternative to baby cereal. I gave both my girls baby cereal when I first introduced them to solids. However, when they were capable of downing a whole box in under a week, I knew it was time to make a change!


A much more cost effective approach is to buy Cream of Wheat or Malt-O-Meal. You can price it out yourself but at my local grocery, a large box of Malt-O-Meal is cheapest. I used to cook it daily on the stovetop until I realized I could just make one large batch for the week! Both my girls (nine months old and three years old) eat this daily for breakfast.

Here's how I make mine. I don't follow the directions on the box but you could always try that out ;)

You'll need a can of fruit in 100% juice. I keep peaches and pears on stock and do a different fruit each week.


First, I pour the 100% juice from the canned fruit into a pot over high heat. When it comes to a boil, I add the cereal and whisk it all together.



I lower the heat and continue to whisk as I add more juice or cereal until I reach the right consistency and quantity. I make mine a little on the thick side so when I remove it from the heat, I can add a little milk to each girl's bowl to cool it down and thin it out. I add several chunks of fruit to their bowls and that is it! Very easy and inexpensive. It's also a lot healthier for my toddler to eat in place of sugary cereal or instant oatmeal. To reheat, I just microwave for 20 seconds or so and then stir in a little milk until the desired consistency is reached.






Sharing this with...

No comments:

Post a Comment