Friday, September 7, 2012

The Letter A

Today I thought I would share a handful of activities we used while learning the letter A. I followed a lot of the themes and activities on the Preschool Alphabet lesson plan.

Apples:

  • Apple prints
  • Apple tree prints using a q-tip for painting and tree bark we found on one of our morning walks
  • Apple seeds
  • We also used this fun print out with the well known rhyme "Way Up High in the Apple Tree." I ended up just taping the tree to the refrigerator and using tape on the back of each apple. After completing the rhyme in English, we did the Spanish version. We practiced it all week and shared it with Daddy :)
  • We didn't do this one, but I thought it was too cute not to share. 
Ants:
Alligators:
  • Along with the activities from Preschool Alphabet, we made this craft I had pinned previously from Meet the Dubiens.
Alphabet
  • Ellie loves the book Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. We got out our magnetic letters and reenacted the story. You can find the tutorial at I Heart Crafty Things.
  • If you have a young toddler, I would definitely recommend the Leapfrog DVD "The Letter Factory".  It helped Ellie quickly identify both the letter and phonetic sound for the entire alphabet. I am NOT a fan of television or movies but I do let her watch this once a week. (Don't get me wrong, we watch movies! I just think kids are easily addicted to sitting in front of the tv and I find it doesn't help with behavior issues at our house.)
We are using the alphabet memory verses from I Can Teach My Child


Ellie's favorite books of the week included:
Chicka Chicka Boom by Bill Martin Jr. & John Archambault
Ten Apples Up On Top by Dr. Seuss
There's an Alligator Under My Bed by Mercer Mayer

This is certainly not all of our activities but just the ones I thought would be worth sharing while the girls are napping and I have time to type away! 


No comments:

Post a Comment